Twitch JSON freeCodeCamp Project
19 Mar 2016
- Objective: Build a CodePen.io app that is functionally similar to this: http://codepen.io/FreeCodeCamp/full/adBpOw.
- User Story: I can see whether Free Code Camp is currently streaming on Twitch.tv.
- User Story: I can click the status output and be sent directly to the Free Code Camp’s Twitch.tv channel.
- User Story: if a Twitch user is currently streaming, I can see additional details about what they are streaming.
- User Story: I will see a placeholder notification if a streamer has closed their Twitch account (or the account never existed). You can verify this works by adding brunofin and comster404 to your array of Twitch streamers.
- Change the layout to something more interesting than just an instant messenger user list. As uninterested in I am in watching someone else code, people apparently are into it. I’m thinking something where the unbroadcast channels kind of fade out and drop back out of notice, but they should still be present.
- Simple, relevant color scheme. This isn’t always my strong point right now but it’s something I could stand to get better at. I like the way my Hyde blog looks, just the one color with white space thing. I’m more typographic with my design anyway, but it’s not in vogue so I think I tend to try to fit more standard current design paradigms and I’m not sure it’s helping me any.
- Let’s tear out as much of it into different functions as possible. Use that Clean Code stuff again, even though it’s easy to get used to scrappy duct tape work when you’re getting that direct feedback from codepen. May I should work on it offline first.
- Let’s introduce another tool, let’s throw some good .svg stuff in the background but nothing too tacky. I was looking at the construction paper SVG background on SVG Generation and I want to use that as the background.
- Maybe as the foreground items too. With very mild drop shadows.
- Ah yeah construction paper theme I can get on this, it’s going to look like South Park.
- Alright maybe I should get some jQuery UI stuff in there too so that the boxes are kind of bouncing around a little bit.
- I think I’m going to try using Jade and maybe Sass on this too because I want to learn to use those so I can work on backend stuff a little better.
- Alright maybe not Sass but at least Jade.